Watercolour Classes Equipment List
Student or Artist Quality TUBE Paint
A cool and warm of each primary colour eg
- Ultramarine Blue (warm)-we will get through plenty of this. *
- Cobalt Blue (cool)
- Cerulean Blue (cool)
- phylo or similar bright and staining blue/turquoise (cool) *
- Cadmium Red (warm)
- Quinacridone Gold (warm)
- Alizarin Crimson or other cool red (cool) *
- Raw Sienna or yellow ochre (warm) *
- Lemon Yellow or Aureolin (cool)
- Viridian or Cobalt Turquoise (cool) *
- Burnt Sienna (warm) *
- Raw Umber (cool)
1. Saunders, Langton, Arches, Fabriano rough 300 gms (100% cotton) or student eg.Bockingford, rough 300gms (paper pulp) You will need the equivalent of at least one full sheet per day(ie.54x76cm)divided up into half or quarters. If you buy in a block or pad then A3 size x 2 per day will be enough. The workshop normally includes exercises followed by a finished painting. Any size will do for the exercises or the back of old paintings and then decent paper and approx one A3 or "half a sheet" for the main painting. Please be careful not to bring along old paper as it goes blotchy and this can happen after only 2 years.
2. Sketch pad or note pad
Small and medium pointed round mops or equivalent, one large enough to cover large areas with few strokes, plus synthetic med-small pointed detail brush and a small flat half centimeter synthetic brush for lifting.
- if you haven't got a palette with plenty of mixing space then a white dinner plate is fine.
Piece of ply or Gater Board (plastic coated foam core-get from art suppliers)
Painting board prop...some easels are too upright
If you haven’t got an easel then use a small length 4x2” wood to prop art board
-Any size,cheap/empty from home to fill with water.
Masking Tape-preferably buff colour
- Approximately 1” wide, cheap high or medium tack to tape paper to board and divide paper up for exercises-sometimes the coloured tape drops off certain types of board.
B, plus a heavier pencil such as 4/6B.
Kneedable Putty Eraser and ruler
Box of tissues
or rag and a small piece of flat kitchen sponge
This is only a suggestion list intended as the basic requirements but feel free to bring what you usually use.
Queries: ring me on 00 64 (0)6 370 2440 or email me for more details.