Watercolour Classes Equipment List
Student or Artist Quality TUBE Paint 14/15ml size
(if you only have pan paints you will be unable to make the full range of tones)
and/or your usual palette colours, below is only a suggestion:
- Ultramarine Blue (this one important-we will use quite a bit of this colour)
- Cobalt Blue
- Cerulean Blue
- Cadmium Red
- Pyroll orange or cadmium orange (optional)
- Quinachrodone Gold (optional but worth having)
- Alizarin Crimson or other cool red like a magenta or permanent rose…
- Raw Sienna or yellow ochre
- Indian yellow or cadmium yellow (optional)
- Lemon Yellow, transparent yellow or Aureolin
- Burnt Sienna
- Raw Umber
- Pthylo or turquoise or other intense blue/green
1. eg. Saunders, Langton, Arches, Fabriano or student eg.Bockingford, rough or NOT
Sold loose (full sheet) 76x56cm or in gummed blocks or pads (A3 ). We will get through a couple of A3’s or equivalent- half the full sheet per day and you can paint on either side for economy.
Careful with old paper it can go mottled. If you have old paper, 2 years+ test it out with water and reject if it is like blotting paper.
2. Sketch pad or note pad
Large and medium pointed (pref.soft hair with a point eg squirrel or synthetic squirrel, my favourite is a No 4 Casaneo, Da Vinci brush) a synthetic med and small pointed detail brush and a small (1- 0.5cm) flat stiff synthetic brush. Photo of my brushes on my website under Equipment
- a decent size for mixing large washes
large enough to take at least A3 size
- optional eg small empty from home
– you don’t need to stretch your paper.
Water Container studio
- large (at least 1 lt) outdoors small jar eg 500ml
( B or 2B) and Eraser (preferably neadable )
Box of tissues
or rag/old towel and a small piece of flat kitchen sponge
please feel free to photograph demos and teaching sheets
This is only a suggestion list intended as the basic requirements but feel free to bring what you usually use.
Queries: ring me on 00 64 (0) 6 370 2440 or email me
for more details.
All Images Copyright © Jacky Pearson,
All Rights Reserved.